Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Where In the World is My Shoe?" and Other Fun Games to Play After Midnight

So it is not quite 3 am like I predicted, but considering I am a supposed to be up in 3 and 1/2 hours to get ready to go to the airport, we're on adrenaline and Starbucks time now anyhow. I am sitting down for the first time since my last post and wow, it is amazing how much I accomplished (with much help from co-workers and family alike) in the 9 hours since receiving the call. It makes me wonder about how much more I could accomplish on a regular day if I approached it with the kind of determination I approached this afternoon, but then I think, "Who would watch my TV?" :)
On to the important details. As I mentioned, with the help of Matt and my teammates I was able to call the wonderful woman who is subbing for me over my leave and have everything ready for her to start in the morning. Matt and I then spent the rest of the evening in a sort of whirlwind packing, making calls, saying prayers, and yelling, "WOW THIS IS REALLY IT!!" (ok that was mostly me). Around 10 pm we loaded up the car with all of my luggage, our crazed dogs who have absolutely no idea how their world is about to be turned upside but so far love it, because they get to go on car rides when they should be in bed, and headed to my mom's house. We decided to spend the night there to save some time in the morning. There we met my very excited mother and finalized all of the packing and plans. This was all going well and good until I asked the age-old question, "Hmmmmm, why did I pack only one shoe? Going to be a little tough to go half-way around the world on one shoe." Now for most people this would be a pretty big concern considering it is 11:30 at night, you need to leave in a few hours for the airport and the trip home and back will take over an hour. Luckily I am world-renowned for forgetting or losing crucial things on trips and so a shoe was a relatively minor thing, even if it was the only pair I was going to bring. Plus the fact that I found this out before I was actually getting dressed tomorrow makes feel like I'm growing. So off I ran for my shoe and am now back at my mom's in the wee hours of the morning. Not to worry, all extremely crucial items, like my passport, papers, and wonderful baby things have been checked and checked and checked for months. I am trying to will myself into sleepiness but I am so filled with excitement and anticipation it is difficult. I cannot wait to go to Seoul and most importantly to meet and hold my son. I have been dreaming of this day for so long that to think it will happen in a matter of a few days is amazing to me. I feel so blessed and so excited to have Adam coming home.
My mom and I are leaving Denver tomorrow morning at 8:15 am for Vancouver. There we have a 2 hour layover and then head out on a flight to Seoul. We are staying at The Grand Intercontinental Hotel in Seoul with all thanks going to my Uncle Mike. We are not yet sure how close this is to Eastern Social Services (where we will meet Adam) but we'll figure it out. This hotel is located at the World Trade Center of Seoul and very used to dealing with foreign guests (and hopefully anxious and overly dramatic soon-to-be-moms). It is typical for a family to fly into Seoul and then to meet their child the next day (even if you are staying at Eastern) so we will have time to figure out the other details. We will be leaving Seoul on Sunday at 5:00 pm and then arriving in Denver at 7:58 pm Sunday. Of course the amazing thing is that while seemly only 3 hours have passed we have actually been traveling for about 18 hours. Time zones are amazing things. Thanks again for all of your support and prayers. I can't wait to post pictures of Adam and more about our adventure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Carly! Sorry you forgot you shoe!

Emily said...

Happy Trails and God Speed! YEAH!! I'll be on the lookout for updates and pics and am so excited for you guys! Love you!

Unknown said...

PRAISE GOD! Carly, we are so so excited for you! It is going to be a wonderful time of love and blessing. I can't wait until you are both home with Daddy Matt!!! Blessings and Love, Jill and Carl

Sally said...

Matt and Carly,

We are so very excited for you that you finally get to go pick up Adam. And we are so very happy for Adam that he finally gets to come home and have 2 of the best people we know as parents. We are thrilled that he will be with you finally and we can not wait to see him and tell him "Welcome Home". I am crying just thinking about the fact the Adam will be with you at last. We are thrilled that you finally get to meet the little boy you have prayed for and dreamed of for so long and we are equally as thrilled that Adam gets to be home with his parents, who are 2 amazing people. We love you and be safe.