Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Got You Babe!


Isn't time the most amazing thing? I am sitting here tonight marveling at the wonder of all that can occur in a year, how quickly the time can seem to fly and yet how long the events of those months seem to span. It seems like only a few weeks ago that my mom and I were leaving on a flight to Korea and yet at the same time I can't really think of a time when Adam wasn't my son. It's almost like how Adam is now a year older and yet I (in the words of Carrie Bradshaw ) haven't aged a day. Time is a mystery.
This year with Adam we have been witness to so many firsts: first steps, first birthdays, first scary illnesses, first hugs, first laughs. But today is the anniversary of perhaps one of the biggest firsts of all: the anniversary of the day I met Adam and got to hold him for the first time, our Gotcha Day! It was a day filled with so many emotions, even now I can't find the right words to describe it and I think probably that I never will. I just know it was one of those rare, momentous days that changes life as you know it and then turns right around and changes the you that is you to boot. What an amazing day and an amazing blessing to bring Adam home to his dad and the rest of the his family anxiously waiting to meet him as well.

I am so thankful to everyone who made that moment possible, our agency and social worker, all of the wonderful people at Eastern Social Welfare and especially to the mothers. To Adam's birth mother and foster mother for giving all that they did. And to my own mother, for traveling around the world with me on the trip of a lifetime. I couldn't have done it without her and I hope to be even a shred of the mother she is. And to Adam I say, baby, how glad I am we gotcha!


Happy Anniversary Adam!


Journey back to that day with me won't you?
























7 comments:

Carolyn Benik said...

Totally makes me cry! It seems like Adam has always been a part of our lives too! We love you guys!

Adam's Nana said...

I'm with Carolyn. I'm crying too! What a surprise to see a new entry. It was an amazing journey and you'll find out being a MOM, the journey won't end! Happy Trails, daughter,

Heather said...

How neat - thanks for sharing these pictures again! Adam looks so different in those first few pictures that you got. What a handsome little guy! I have got to get out there to meet him.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how fast that year flew by! Thank you for keeping us up-to-date on your lives through your blog. It always makes my day when I see a new entry!

Susan said...

You really have to stop making me cry! How fun to look back and see how much he's changed over the past year. What an amazing time for all of you. Happy Anniversary!

Beth said...

Ok, ok, you are totally forgiven for not blogging all the time because you save it all up and bust out with these amazingly emotional and beautiful blog entries! I love it - happy Gotcha Day...and congratulations for everything happening in your lives. It couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving couple. :)

Unknown said...

Oh Carly! I haven't checked your blog since Adam's press conference! What a special day...that Gotcha Day! Can you believe it has been a year and a half since we sat in that CORE Training course??? I am with you....now it is almost impossible to remember when those little ones were not with us! I hope you are well!